Legacy Photo:: Blog

{YOUR LEGACY...IN PICTURES}

Monday, August 3, 2009

..Sheffield Family..

This is a very special posting for this family and for me personally. I received a very touching email one day from a woman named Pam who knew a family I did pictures for and she just loved them. So she contacted me hoping I would be available to do some urgent family pictures for one of her great friends Alicia & Jared. As I read through her email I began getting extremely choked up. Alicia is only 32 with 4 adorable little kids, her oldest being 12 and youngest only 3 years old. She has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and just found out she only has 3-6 months left to live. She has a very aggressive form of cancer and it has spread through out her whole body now. I was SO honored to do these pictures for her and her precious family. If any of you know me well, you know I am a big time bawl baby and cry over just about anything. I knew this would be a very hard situation so I tried my hardest to compose myself during their session...they didn't need me chiming in too. But when I got home and uploaded their pictures on my computer I sat and stared at this beautiful woman and her family and I literally sat and sobbed. I cannot even imagine my life without MY mom and I'm older, let alone these 4 little kids not being able to have a mom. Alicia was such an inspiration to me. She is such a strong woman who even though is in excruciating pain all of the time...never did she complained once about her legs hurting, or being so tired she couldn't stand to stay awake any longer. She just sat there and smiled through it all and was so grateful that I came to do their pictures. I really wanted to capture some special moments with her and her kids, because some of these pictures are the only things her kids will have to remember her by. As soon as I met them, I knew their session would be how I thought it would go...just sweet and simple! Because they are such a sweet and simple family whose love for each other is so strengthening to be around. Alicia's sister told me a story of how Alicia really knew how to throw a great party, every year for her kids birthdays she'd go all out for each kid to have a very special day...and even though there will come a day when Alicia is no longer able to be with her family--the memories of their sweet and beautiful mom will live in their hearts forever and her strength, and love will leave the greatest legacy for her family. Thank you so much Pam for thinking of me, I am so happy you did!
This picture above just tears me apart. These 4 gorgeous kids completely adore their mom.
above is another favorite. I didn't even tell them to look at eachother, to smile or anything...infact I was paying attention to the little kids behind me and when I turned around I seen them just starring at eachother and smiling so I hurried and snapped it before they looked at me. How priceless this will be!

7 comments:

McKenzie Larson said...

These pictures are gorgeous and they made me cry! That is so sad! What an honor for you to take them!

Wendy said...

Wow. So neat and touching. My heart goes out to this beautiful family.

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh. I sat here at work and read this blog and tears just rolled down my face. The pictures that you took of that family are so powerfull. You can see the love that they all have for each other, and it reminds you how precious every moment in life is. This shoot was amazing! I will be sure to go home today and give everyone I love a huge hug! AMAZING!

Reed's said...

Alex, You did an amazing job. Those pictures are fantastic, and they will be treasured for a lifetime for those beautiful kids.

The Shorts said...

Hi Alex, This is Alicia's sister. The pictures turned out wonderful. You have done something for our whole family that we could not do for ourselves. You are truly an angel. We will treasure every photo for the rest of our lives. Thank you,

From the Walters, Sheffields, Shorts

Ali the B. said...

AMAZING, Alicia & I served together in YW's, her parents are in my ward & this whole situation has touched us all very much, in very different ways!
You captured a beautiful woman who will be remembered for many wonderful things...what a treasure her family has of her! Thanks for sharing!!

Kendra said...

my mom visit teaches her and told me about the pics you did for the family. I had to check it out and they are beautiful! It makes me cry too thinking of sad it'll be when she's gone. My mom got a call this morning saying they don't think Alicia will live throughout the weekend. My prayers are with the family! How kind of you to do this for her and her family!!